AGP Picks
View all

The top news stories from Cabo Verde

Provided by AGP

Got News to Share?

AGP Executive Report

Your go-to archive of top headlines, summarized for quick and easy reading.

Note: These AI-generated summaries are based on news headlines, with neutral sources weighted more heavily to reduce bias.

Hantavirus Cruise Fallout: The MV Hondius repatriation push is still throwing up new positives. US and France: an American and a French woman tested positive after leaving the ship, with the US case sent to Nebraska’s quarantine unit and the French patient isolated in Paris as her condition worsened. Global Response: Spain says it took “all measures” to stop spread during the Tenerife evacuations, but WHO warns more cases may surface in this “limited” outbreak. Where it stands: three deaths linked to the outbreak so far, and confirmed cases now span multiple countries as passengers are monitored for weeks. Local Cabo Verde Link: the outbreak’s route includes Cape Verde, while Cabo Verde’s World Cup dream is also in the spotlight after a separate New Zealand police probe into an alleged incident involving a Cape Verde player.

Over the last 12 hours, Cabo Verde Times coverage has been dominated by the evolving international response to the hantavirus outbreak linked to the MV Hondius cruise ship. The World Health Organization (WHO) reiterated that the incident is “not the start of an epidemic” and “not the start of a pandemic,” stressing that the public health risk is low and that the Andes strain’s incubation period (up to six weeks) means additional cases are possible. WHO also said the first case could not have been infected during the cruise, indicating infection occurred before boarding—a key development that shifts the focus toward tracing exposures rather than assuming onboard transmission alone.

A major operational theme in the most recent reporting is contact tracing and passenger tracking after people left the ship before the outbreak was fully identified. Multiple reports describe efforts to locate and monitor passengers who disembarked at Saint Helena (including figures such as 29 or around 40, depending on the source), with authorities in several countries racing to assess potential exposures. In parallel, health systems are monitoring returnees: the UKHSA reported two Britons self-isolating after possible exposure, while the US is monitoring travelers in at least three states (with reports noting no symptoms among those monitored so far). WHO and national authorities also described ongoing testing and isolation measures for evacuees and close contacts.

Another fast-moving development is the ship’s movement toward Spain’s Canary Islands and the legal/medical framework for what happens on arrival. Reporting says the Hondius is en route to Tenerife/Granadilla, with Spain’s health minister indicating there are legal tools including quarantine depending on assessments. Meanwhile, evacuees have been arriving in Europe for treatment: coverage notes patients transferred to the Netherlands (including a flight attendant admitted in Amsterdam after contact with a case) and continued monitoring/testing for others. The operator also stated that no symptomatic individuals remain on board, with remaining passengers to be assessed upon arrival.

As background from the prior days, earlier coverage established the outbreak’s scale and geography: three deaths linked to the Hondius and multiple confirmed/suspected cases (with WHO figures cited as eight cases total as of May 6, including three confirmed). Reporting also highlighted the suspected role of rodent exposure and the Andes strain, alongside investigations into where the initial infections may have originated—an issue that WHO’s latest statement (first case infected before boarding) now reframes.

Note: The provided evidence for Cabo Verde Times’ coverage is heavily concentrated on the Hondius outbreak; there is limited Cabo Verde-specific non-health reporting in the supplied material within this 7-day window.

Over the last 12 hours, Cabo Verde Times coverage has been dominated by the unfolding response to the hantavirus outbreak aboard the MV Hondius off Cape Verde. Multiple reports describe the evacuation of three people from the ship—two patients in serious condition and a third person who had been in contact with a confirmed case—followed by onward medical transfer to Europe (including flights landing in Amsterdam). The WHO and other health authorities repeatedly stress that, despite the deaths and confirmed cases, the overall risk to the general public remains low and that the outbreak is not being treated as a “next COVID” scenario.

A key operational development is the ship’s movement toward Spain’s Canary Islands. Spain says the vessel will reach Tenerife within days and that passenger evacuation is expected to begin around May 11, with plans for medical quarantine and repatriation for those without symptoms. At the same time, the reporting highlights ongoing international monitoring and contact tracing: the WHO continues to track passengers and contacts, and health agencies in multiple countries (including the US and UK) are described as monitoring people who may have been exposed after disembarkation events earlier in the cruise.

The last 12 hours also include additional context on how authorities are framing the threat. Japan’s health ministry is quoted urging the public to stay calm and saying the risk of person-to-person spread would remain low with proper management of patients and contacts. WHO briefings and expert commentary in the coverage emphasize that hantavirus transmission between humans is rare, while still acknowledging the seriousness of the disease and the need for accurate information. Some reporting also points to the outbreak’s strain identification and the international spread of concern through returning travelers, including cases and self-isolation measures in Europe and monitoring arrangements in the US.

Looking back 12 to 72 hours (as supporting background), the coverage shows the outbreak’s escalation from initial deaths to a wider international health response. Reports describe the outbreak being linked to the Andes strain, the start of contact tracing across continents, and the Argentine investigation into a likely origin involving bird-watching and a landfill/rodent exposure hypothesis. There is also continuity in the political and logistical friction around docking decisions in the Canary Islands, which has been repeatedly referenced as the ship’s destination and evacuation plans have shifted.

Overall, the most significant “new” development in this rolling window is the combination of (1) completed/ongoing evacuations of patients to Europe and (2) Spain’s stated timeline for Tenerife arrival and subsequent evacuation/quarantine procedures. However, the evidence provided is heavily global and outbreak-focused rather than specifically Cabo Verde domestic policy beyond the evacuation and initial anchoring—so the summary reflects the international response as the central storyline in the most recent coverage.

Over the last 12 hours, Cabo Verde Times coverage has been dominated by the unfolding international response to the suspected hantavirus outbreak aboard the MV Hondius, which has been anchored off Cape Verde. The WHO Director-General, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, confirmed that three suspected hantavirus patients were evacuated from the ship and are being transported to the Netherlands for medical care, with the WHO continuing to coordinate monitoring and follow-up for passengers and crew. Reporting also highlights that the outbreak is being treated as involving the Andes strain, which South Africa has said can spread among humans in rare circumstances, and that the overall public health risk to the wider population remains low at this stage.

A major operational thread in the past 12 hours is the medical evacuation logistics and the ship’s next destination. Multiple reports describe air ambulances leaving Cape Verde for the Netherlands, and mention that Spain has said the remaining passengers will be repatriated once the vessel docks in the Canary Islands (Tenerife/Tenerife-area ports). At the same time, the coverage underscores continuing political friction: the Canary Islands regional leadership has opposed docking plans, while Spanish health authorities defend the Canary Islands as the “closest” location with necessary capabilities. The reporting also notes that screening and quarantine protocols are expected once the ship arrives.

In parallel, the last 12 hours include new epidemiological and case-management updates that extend the outbreak narrative beyond the ship. Coverage states that a hantavirus case has been confirmed in Switzerland in a person previously linked to the Hondius, and that investigations are tracing contacts and assessing possible transmission pathways. One AP report cites investigators’ leading theory that a couple on the cruise contracted hantavirus during a bird-watching trip in Argentina, suggesting an off-ship exposure as a key hypothesis—though the evidence presented in the articles also keeps attention on the possibility of limited human-to-human spread given the Andes strain.

Looking back 12 to 72 hours, the broader pattern is one of escalation from initial deaths and suspected cases to wider confirmation and coordination: WHO reporting moved from early suspected clusters to confirmed Andes strain cases, while South Africa and Switzerland provided strain identification and treatment updates. Earlier coverage also shows the same core operational dilemma—where the ship could dock and how to manage evacuations—and the same WHO framing that risk to the general public is low, even as the situation becomes more complex internationally.

Outside the outbreak, the only Cabo Verde-specific development in the provided material is political and institutional: ECOWAS plans to deploy about 100 observers for Cabo Verde’s legislative elections on May 17, with a team of experts already in-country and a situation room planned to track developments. This is routine election-monitoring coverage, but it provides continuity with the broader regional governance focus noted in older articles.

Sign up for:

Cabo Verde Times

The daily local news briefing you can trust. Every day. Subscribe now.

By signing up, you agree to our Terms & Conditions.

Share us

on your social networks:

Sign up for:

Cabo Verde Times

The daily local news briefing you can trust. Every day. Subscribe now.

By signing up, you agree to our Terms & Conditions.